May 1, 2008

State troopers stop using their dogs.

I just found this story on the Charlotte Observer site. Patrol stops using its dogs
Official: K-9 training program to be reviewed
.
Reading that "troopers in the canine program said dogs have been shocked with a stun gun, kicked and suspended until they are nearly unconscious." I am appalled! These are NC State Highway Patrol. They are suppost to uphold the law. To me this is animal cruelty not the way you train an expensive dog.

Further on it says "an international consulting firm hired to conduct an in-depth review of the N.C. Highway Patrol said the agency needs to improve its management -- particularly in ethical training.." Well no shit.

I am now ashamed of my state.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I (obviously) share your dismay. Besides being inhumane, trained police dogs are extremely expensive and they train far better with positive training methods. Whoever is doing this should be drawn and quartered.