March 4, 2008

In like a lamb..

Last week we had snow, ice, rain, mush and beautiful days with temps in the 50's. I not sure if I can say that March came in like a lamb or if February went out like a lion.

We has a little false spring on Sunday which I took total advantage of and worked in the yard. I planted some bulbs that were given to me last week - and a couple that I had missed last fall when I was planting. I also began an all out war on the little brambles that I have in my yard. I have some really nice Black berry bushes but I also have these little prone briars that are just horrible. You don't see them until you step on them or they grab your jeans and they are slowly trying to invade the little grassy area I have! I spent a good 2 hours just pulling these up and only covered about 30 sq feet. I admit that it was fun to try and pull them and see how much of the roots I could get.

I fully admit I am addicted to reading - I read gardening blogs, general blogs, herb blogs and even manage to sneak in an old fashioned book or two. I used to think that I was a little weird for the amount of books that I have but in my family having boxes of books is not so unusual. Every member of my family has several good sized boxes of books, bookshelves full of books and more scattered around the house- we claim it is genetic. Why I bring this up - I have my first I-pod (yes, I am a little slow). I also have my first subscription to Audible.com. WOW! I was impressed by the vast number of books. I am also worried. Will the easy availability of downloadable audio books bring an end to beautifully printed hardback books?

2 comments:

Jan said...

Technologically you're way ahead of me. I like to savor words in a well written book and to go back and read passages. So hard cover books will always appeal to me.

Rose said...

I don't have an ipod yet either, however, my siblings and I all claim that the love of books must be genetic! All of us, with the exception of one brother, loves books. And has more on hand than we could possibly read, yet two or three of us still make trips to the library! It must be a sickness--but I don't want to recover from it.