April 24, 2008

Thoughful Thursday

Another week seems to be flying by and have to ask myself just what have I done with my time? Well, besides work, play in the garden, and visit friends, I have thought a lot about Earth day. What does earth day mean? The answer for me is, a day to remember our earth, the one who supports, nourishes and enchants us.

If you have not had a chance to read Why Bother? by MICHAEL POLLAN in last Saturdays “Green Issue” of the Washington Post you should. It is a long article but worth the read.

There are several things that he says that I know I will quote one being– “
The Big Problem is nothing more or less than the sum total of countless little
everyday choices, most of them made by us (consumer spending represents 70
percent of our economy), and most of the rest of them made in the name of our
needs and desires and preferences. For us to wait for legislation or technology
to solve the problem of how we’re living our lives suggests we’re not really
serious about changing — something our politicians cannot fail to notice. They
will not move until we do.”
Another is
-"If enough other people bother, each one influencing yet another in a chain
reaction of behavioral change, markets for all manner of green products and
alternative technologies will prosper and expand. (Just look at the market for
hybrid cars.) "

Yes, we can vote with our money, if we do it as a nation.

He also talks about the “energy crisis” of the 70’s. Ok, so I might not remember the cost of food or waiting in line to buy gas, I do remember my folks going “back to the land”. Yep, we did have chickens, 2 large gardens, a compost pile and not so many clothes or toys (Hey, even then college professors did not rake in the big bucks). Moms baked bread, Dad cut wood and we kids seemed to do a lot of weeding in the summer. My folks were not the only ones doing this, it was big then. Of course after a couple of years a lot of the couples/ families decided that it was just too much and moved back to the cities. Just think were we would be today if everyone had just kept going “back to the land”, even if it was just a small spot in the yard.

I am going to try to celebrate earth day every day. If I try to conscientiously change one thing I do each day, even if it a small thing like take my own reusable bags to the grocery, then in my own little world I will have made a difference.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I agree that individual effort is the most important. We've fallen in love with home grown vegetables fertilized with our own compost pile. When the dryer died, we decided clothes dried outside have the best smell ever. It's little things like this that can be rewarding and not a hardship.