July 30, 2008

Here chick,chick, chicken...


With the raising cost of food, gas, and just about everything else I am thinking of getting some chickens. I love fresh eggs and love to watch hens. I also know that they are not that cheap.
I have been doing lots of "research". I know that I am zoned rural/ agricultural and that even though I technically live in a subdivision we have no POA.
This also means that I will have to build a coop and a good run, one that will withstand both little and big dogs. Little dogs- Charlie just loves to chase birds, especially the wild turkeys so undoubtedly he will want to worry the chickens. Big dogs - neighbor below has a big lab something. I have gone to Lowe's to price what I will need, I have looked on the web and at several books to get ideas for coops and I have been talking to everyone I know who has chickens.
Ok to be honest it will be next spring before I will have everything together- ie will have enough $$ for the coop materials- but I already have just the spot picked out in the yard.
While I have been doing my "research" I have come across some really great chicken websites, and news stories. If you want some really cute chicken stories check out Farmgirl_dk.

3 comments:

Jan said...

I think raising chickens would be so much fun. My parents had chickens when I was growing up and gathering the eggs was such a great experience. I'm sure they are not cost effective, but pets never are.

Anonymous said...

I always think chickens are a fantastic idea, even though mine are driving me a little crazy right now (my fault, not theirs).

Danni said...

Hey! I just found your post...I love chicken posts...so imagine my surprise when I saw your mention of me and my blog! Thank you!
And, if you ask me, I think you should DEFINITELY get some chickens. :-) Definitely.